Thursday, January 14, 2010

Is that a tent? or are you just happy to see me?

I booked a camping trip today, for June. Have I ever camped before you ask? Yes, yes I have. The main difference here is that in the past, I camped at the beach, with coolers full of nothing but bottles of booze and baggies full of various other substances... This time, I'll have a cooler full of single serve soymilk, fruit snacks, apples and raisins.
Do I want to go camping? Kinda... Why would I opt to sleep on the ground for two nights? Well, the simple answer is, I think Orion will like it. I want to be the kind of mom that will happily subject herself to mild to moderate discomfort for the sheer pleasure and enjoyment of her child. If Orion had a dad, I'd make him take the kiddo on the camping trip.
I am not afforded that luxury, so I will be shopping for hiking boots, tents and sleeping bags.
Ultimately, I see this as a character building opportunity, in a somewhat controlled environment. Yes, I will be sleeping on the ground, eating non-perishable foods and singing kumbaya. But I'll also be showing my son what it's like to sleep under the stars, and hike through woods and streams and commune with nature.


No comments: